What Is Mediation?

It is not uncommon for individuals to turn to alternatives to traditional dispute resolution. Getting both parties into a room with the sole goal of working through a dispute can be more efficient and cost-effective than going through traditional litigation. The two parties, their lawyers and a neutral third party mediator work in a positive, low-conflict environment to reach a beneficial resolution to whatever problem they are facing.

Benefits Of Mediation

One of the main benefits of mediation is that it helps resolve matters much earlier than if the parties opted to go through the court process. They would be able to schedule the mediation and hopefully reach a resolution quickly.

This would also be the only time they would be making the decisions in the case. In other words, they would be able to sit down and put together an agreement which worked for everyone.

The other obvious benefit is that it would stop long and expensive litigation. It would be far less expensive than going to court because they would not have to prepare for trial. There would be much less time involved from the attorney's standpoint.

Another advantage of mediation is that the parties would get some finality. They would know what was going to happen. People who go to court, you are usually rolling the dice. A good attorney might be able to predict what a judge would do in certain situations, but we would never really know for sure.

Subjects People Usually Mediate

"I am a mediator and I mediate all types of cases, not just divorce cases.

I am also certified as a civil mediator and an appellate mediator. In the divorce context, we basically mediate all issues that a judge could rule on in a divorce such as a parenting plan and what the time sharing would be, or the schedule of when the children would be with each parent.

Issues like child support, spousal support, alimony, property distribution and other issues can be resolved in mediation." — Attorney Michael Golub

Important Things People Should Know About Mediation And The Process

At Michael E. Golub, P.A., we always like to encourage people that if they are going to go to mediation, then the earlier in the process they could do it, the better. We really encourage people to enter into the process before they ever go to court. If a case is already filed, then they should do it earlier in the litigation process. It will save a lot of drama and a lot of expense if it is done earlier in the process.

It is very important for parties to understand they should approach mediation with an open mind. Many people who go into the process are absolutely positive the case could not be settled in mediation, and it does end up being resolved.

Around 80 percent of cases that go into mediation, end up getting settled and out of the remaining 20 percent, less than 5 percent of those actually go to trial.

Most of those cases end up being settled by the parties or attorneys at some point after mediation. However, they are still aided by the mediation process. Even though the issues were not resolved, dialogues were opened. People would generally be more aware of each other's needs and interests at that point in time.

Call Or Email Us Today

Do not hesitate to schedule a free 30-minute consultation at our firm. With an office in Tavares, we are prepared to help clients throughout Florida. Call 352-508-6632 or send an email to schedule a time to meet.